Sunday, July 10, 2011

Find Your Love Affair

I have a love affair with fitness. I love to sweat. I love hearing the music blast through my headphones and the clink of weights hitting the rack. I love feeling my heart racing out of my chest. I love when I can't catch my breath. I love feeling so sore the next day that I am brutally aware of every muscle in my body. If my butt is sore enough to make sitting down painful, I am going to have a fabulous day.
I am also a freak.

But, I truly believe that every person can find a love affair with fitness. You may not love the same things I love. Try not to judge me when I tell you about mine and I promise not to judge you when you find your love affair in Strip Aerobics.
My advice to you is to try new things to discover your love affair. Try something that sounds appealing to you or try something that sounds absolutely not your style. You may end up in love with Bikram yoga (a specific series of yoga poses in 105 degree classroom) even though you normally hate sweating, or you may fall in love with Zumba even though you have no rhythm. You do not need to be good at something to give it a whirl. Scan the lists of classes at gyms close to you. Look for community classes in your area. There are almost always first timers specials. If you really want to take advantage, sample classes at different yoga studios and gyms always invoking whatever their new member special is (there are places that give you the first two weeks for the price of one class!) Tell an instructor that you are new so you make sure to do things correctly and not get injured in your fitness experiments. Also try new things more than once; the first class is spent trying to figure out what to do and doesn't allow you to get in the flow. Many Bikram followers believe it takes 10 straight days of the practice for your brain to appreciate it the way that your body benefits from it. So do not give up after the first day. If you are intrigued enough to try again, get your booty out there for another round. I do believe you will find your love. When you do, working out shifts from being a chore to being the thing that gets you out of bed in the morning.

“An hour of basketball feels like 15 minutes.  An hour on a treadmill feels like a weekend in traffic school.”  ~ David Walters


Find your "basketball" and make your workout fly-by. My hope for you is that you find what you are looking for in fitness and you continue to love it the way I love it for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment